PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When did you start your training, and where are you at now?
Old 12th Feb 2006, 13:23
skysoarer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by energie
That's great. it looks like after finishing the Cabair program, you will have your CPL + IR right? what's your next step?
Yep! You finish the course with a CPL + IR (with a multi-engine rating Only), and an MCC course. You can't go wrong with any of the major flying schools really, as they're all top notch. One thing that helped me with the ground exams was a login to Bristol Groundschool (http://213.48.96.23/atponline/jalo/index.asp. The feedback there is excellent, and *mostly* correct. It's my understanding that the Oxford feedback cd has been updated to fix some errors in my older cd, so that wasn't as useful to me personally.

I will be adding the single engine rating to my license, as it's not included in the package. That will let me do the normal single jo-blogs flying at the weekend thing, rather than having to hire a twin!

My next step? First time I/R pass please! I'm on a course with the flyBE sponsoree's from last year, and it sounds such a good airline to work for (perhaps not in money terms initially), so they will be receiving my first application. There is presently a BA scheme where, if you average 85% or better in your groundschool exams, I *think* 75% in flight tests after PT2, and a first-round I/R pass, your flying school can recommend you to them. First-round I/R pass includes if you Partial-pass then pass the resit.

The one thing I've found annoying is the Da-40 aircraft. They are much better now but, during the first block, more were in Maintenance than online so getting a flight could be difficult. They are lovely things to fly though, and powerful for a training aircraft, with a good panel. The DI's can precess quite a bit as they're air driven, and I swear they're ordered with Weetabix tokens. If you're thinking of starting with Cabair soon, you may do your twin training on the new Diamond Twin-star (Da-42). I know most of the instructors have trial-flown one brought in, but they're still on order I *believe*. The ones I've seen are fully EFIS equipped, and probably fly your I/R for you.

Overall, I personally recommend visiting all the schools and see how each works with you, and go with the one you like. 25 isn't too old...

Sky