PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Int. Package.
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2006, 09:22
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which is analygous to 'stop thinking about yourselves and start thinking about us'......never going to happen, human nature just doesn't work that way.

Anyone who thinks pilots won't come back to fly for a greenfields alternative J* is just fooling themselves.

At the rates offered in this package, including overtime etc, EK pilots would be lining up.

1/. Already type rated and experienced on type so no expense there,
2/. Near as damn it the same net pay,
3/. Not work any harder, probably fly less,
4/. Days off at 'home', rather than the sandpit,
5/. Lower cost of living. Yes EK pilots get rent and elec payed for....that would not be enough to even slow many of them down. More than compensated by 'living in Oz'....widely considered to be worth 50K alone....although not by me.
6/. Much better schools.
7/. Wives can work if need be.
8/. Working in a place with labour laws.
9/. Working in a place with a functioning aviation authority...have you guys heard about the FTL abuses at EK?
10/. Working where income taxes are actually, albeit slowly, reducing as opposed to being seriously talked about in the UAE. Defered income like Super likely to be tax free soon and as a result the ability to pay heavily into super without severely impacting mthly net income. Don't kid yourselves that the UAE is tax free nirvana...they hit you in a variety of non direct ways.
11/. Better weather...anyone who hasn't experienced DXB summer cannot begin to comprehend 45 degree C, 97% humidity and vis reduced to several Ks in dust....and that's about 40% of the year....even at 2am it is 38C on the ground and 44+ at 1000'..amazing inversions.
12/. Many if not most already own homes, some more than 1 in Oz and have defered, accumulated tax losses that mean they will pay very little tax in the first year or two anyway.

I don't work for EK and hopefully NEVER will but I spend a LOT of time in DXB and have LOTS of mates working there....many are salivating at the prospect of returning to live in Oz flying widebodies at similar pay/increased perceived lifestyle....Airbus pilots where I do work are sniffing around as well....and here is VASTLY better than EK in all areas....in my opinion at least, and most of the guys I work with.

I actually prefer being an expat....but a significant % of my mates do not...and they all have LOTS of experience flying international long haul.

The JPG knows all this....the more mature members of the pilot body know all this...they have often worked overseas before....the young tyros are getting a case of the humps and making emotive statements along the lines of "might as well go overseas if that is all they are offering".

Be aware...if you do QF will be knocked down in the rush...they wil be embarrassed for choice.

Thems the hard facts.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 12th Feb 2006 at 23:50.