PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collision Risks?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 22:14
Jo Cover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been an uncontributing observer of Pprune for some time and have only just felt the need to register.

I cannot believe the lack of professionalism shown by some of the posters on this thread. Some of the comments are down right irresponsible.

If the a/c is equipped with transponder and radio then use them. They are there to assist you and others. You might think you are invincible but I can assure you you are NOT!

The transponder isn't difficult to use. You all know how they work. Normally one switch and it's on. Simple as that. Maybe with a few changes to squawk, if you actually use it correctly but it isn't dificult is it?

The radio might be something which frightens you and I know some grown men and women can be intimidated by speaking over an open channel for all to hear, BUT, don't forget that the radio is there to be used to assist you and others.

Remember the section regarding relaying a Pan or Mayday call in the R/T practical? Would you like it on your consience, if you ignored a fellow aviator in trouble, just because you couldn't be bothered to switch on and listen in to others in distress? And maybe, just maybe, make the difference and save someones life by alerting the appropriate emergency services, to the scene of either a crash or other potential life threatening situation? Would you like the idea someone else equipped with radio ignore your calls for help because they couldn't be bothered to switch on and monitor their radio?

Do you think that when the time comes for you to call for help when it all goes wrong, you will be able to enter the correct frequency, select the correct radio box and make the correct transmission when all is going wrong?

Maybe you are of the 'it won't happen to me brigade'. Maybe you never practise PFL's or EFATO's or other vital emergency action drills. Will you remember what to do when the need arises? The simple answer is a big NO! Of course, you don't need to because it's not going to happen to you is it...

May I suggest some of you re-think your posts, get out of your ivory towers and act as professionals. After all, this is the Professional Pilots Rumour Network is it not?