PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When did you start your training, and where are you at now?
Old 10th Feb 2006, 09:20
learboys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends

Hi there
Well if thats the case folks like me should rather pack my bags and go. I've been involved in aviation for 18 years now, started when I was 18 and am a licenced aircraft engineer who didn't have the money or a rich dad, I only started flying when I was 26- finished my PPL over 4 years, I was told these words by a fellow "just fly, dont worry about the hours, they will eventually come" that is exactly what I did. I am now 36 and am writing my last ATPL subjects. As for work prospects well I have close to a 1000 hours now and being involved in maintenance I have been lucky getting hours, but never the less I'm living a dream. I am now currently unemployed as I have taken some time off to study and complete the exams.

What you must bear in mind, the aviation industry is full of surprises, there are various ways to get to your goals. Not all pilots start flying with the Airlines. Easy jet are amoung a few who take on low hour pilots amongs others, alot come out of the the charter industry. I met pilots who fly for the airlines who were crop sprayer's and lots more that were bush pilots. Airlines employ pilots up to the age of 45+. Its demands, a shortage of pilots and they shake the tree and if you fall out with the right hours they will employ you.

Aviation is a demanding job, and alot of folks dont realise it, if you dont like learning, well you not going to have alot of fun being a pilot. Once you start you will never stop, its like you never left school, there are always exams to write, getting new ratings on your licence and flight tests not to mention the costs. Aviation is a bottomless pit, you will pour alot of money in and it never ends. It boils down to spending a large fortune to make a small fortune,but the rewards, I'm sure alot of pilots will agree are worth every penny right down to the last cent.

I think if you read up you will find that being a pilot, it seldom happens where you just get a lucky break, but some do. Most have to go the long way, I am in no way trying to discourage you, merely trying to show you and highlight some of the pro's and cons. At 25 you still young and you have alot of flying ahead, I wouldn't give up so easily, if you really want to fly you will make a go of it, but bear in mind it takes alot to get to the top.

Have fun and enjoy your wings