PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all 737-3/4/500 pilots
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 07:16
despegue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On engine failure:
"Step on the ball". This means that you give a GOOD amount of rudder imput, never mind if initially you do too much/ too little rudder. Just keep control. Fly the lady and don't overdo her with pitch if you're heavy.Then keep your foot there. DO NOT PLAY with the rudder but correct with the ailerons. You'll find that 5 units of rudder trim works great (remember to trim towards your pressing foot). You can keep this rudder trim all the way down, and it will help a lot when having to do a N-1 Go-Around. Ask your Training department though for your airline's SOP regarding this.

Go-Around:
When being light: DO NOT press TOGA (if it isn't a wave-off). Give gradual more thrust manually or you'll be in trouble if your level off alt. is low. The engines are very powerful...

Flying manually:
The magic of smooth manual flying is: try not to move the controls. As crazy as it may sound, you should minimize yoke movement as much as possible. Instead, put pressure on the controls until you have achieved your required aob. or pitch. never mind what the FD says, if you fly manually, beter to put that FD off anyway. Try it. It works wonders.

Landing:
Keep your descent rate until hearing ""30" then slightly raise the nose (1 or 2°). at "10", close the throttle in a gentle way. keep in mind that a positive landing is a good landing. No need for greasers

The B737 is a great aircraft. Try to fly her manually and without FD as much as your airline allows, only then you'll really get to know her character.

These are some tips from me and my ex-Sabena collegues. They helped me a lot when new on the aircraft, ask your trainers though what THEY want. I'm just a fool with too much time on hand...