PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transformation in SA Aviation - going nowhere slowly (like this thread)
Old 9th Feb 2006, 20:29
birdlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afrivation,

I've had a really kuk day so please bear with me

You have made some valid points but in others you have not. Let me explain.

Agreed apartheid did create a huge amount of inequalities. Yes the aviation industry should be more demorgraphic. However, this should be done WITHOUT compromising safety. You mentioned in one of your earlier posts, as my understanding was, that because you have a licence you are qualified. I could not disagree with this more. Same as you would not expect a newly qualified doctor to perform a heart transplant by themselves you would not expect a newly qualified CPL to land an aircraft on some dodgy landing strip in the middle of nowhere in kuk weather by themselves. Baby steps is the key.

Another point you made was that the government should be responsibe for implementing BEE (for lack of a better word) in the aviation industry. This is all very well and think on principle is a good policy if not always practicle. But like you said yourself not many non pales are able to afford to fly in the first place. This is the same everywhere. Im irish, besides the fact that I grew up in SA why do you think Im doing my training here - because its ALOT CHEAPER. If I did go back to Ireland to finish my licence (did seriously consider after my experience today ) it would cost 10's of thousands of pounds - money which I do not have.

Your obviously a well educated bloke and I do understand where you are coming from even if you maybe slightly dillusional Allow me to explain, you said crime here is rampant because of the socio economics. Whose to blame for that. THE GOVERNMENT. Not enough money is spent on uplifting the people through education. If enough money was spent setting up education schemes we would not be in the position that we are in now - unemployement leading to crime and/or poor living conditions. And if you think about it by some screwed logic not enough money to fly