PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transformation in SA Aviation - going nowhere slowly (like this thread)
Old 9th Feb 2006, 17:55
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Afriaviation you make mention of SAA'a fleet being fully leased from European companies as if this is something unique and distasteful? Most of the Worlds fleet of commercial airliners are leased from major leasing companies in the USA or Europe. As yet I don't think there are any major leasing companies in Africa,

12 years is quite a long time in many ways, but in terms of education it doesn't cover the average pales time in school and university. So from the day things started to change for the better in SA the child starting school will only be 16. Not many 16 years old commercial pilots anywhere. For those who were already in school they would have had to WANT to be a commercial pilot to choose the right exams to qualify for sponsorship OR worked for very little at flying clubs in exchange for lessons and taken the long route.

I always said I wanted to be a pilot, but found excuses why I hadn't done it when in fact the real reason was I didn't want it enough to make the sacrifices. No matter I have had a good life in aviation on the ground.

If there are not enough non pales in the cockpits maybe it is because they can earn good money for less dedication elsewhere?