PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XP Problem
Thread: XP Problem
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 23:21
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As my uncle is known for saying- 'that's not too good', BH

Let me ask you this - have you backed up your files ? - are there things on this pc that you don't want to lose ?

Before any more repair work is done to XP you might want to backup your data.

1.The DOS window you are presented with is, unfortunately, the repair console. From here we can list files and tediously copy files one at a time - but only within the same mounted drive (not from CD or other drive) - it's a pain but works.

2.Your XP CD can repair windows - it is an option when you choose to Install XP - then choose to Install in the same Partition -then (IMPORTANT) choose Leave the file system intact - then install in the same directory. (usually c : \windows). You will get a warning of overwriting the current installation. You will several steps later be allowed to choose to Repair. Your programs may not all work and you need to back up the contents of the Documents and Settings folders to retain your My Documents, Favorites, emails, address book and so on before you run the CD.

3. XP Brain Surgery - To get your copy of XP back up you will either need a working PC with Win XP or 2000 to put your drive in and move some files around (and while you're in there backup if you need) - OR put a 2nd drive (even an old one) in your machine to run through the XP install on that drive -then reconnecting your drive and doing the XP file replacement from that installation.

The surgery is a matter of replacing the missing or damaged registry files in the system\config directory with ones from one of your restore points located in a hidden folder called System Volume Information. This is a special folder that can only be accessed from outside of it's owner - the owner being your damaged copy of XP.

The files you need to replace are SAM, Security, Default, Software and System. Restore points have copies of these in the SVI special folder. This may get your copy back up and working. Give me a post or PM and I will be glad to walk you through the copying process.

I have to be honest though - if there are other damaged areas of XP, both of these methods may work, but may not be stable in the long run. On the other hand - it may all work out fine.

vap