PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brace position
Thread: Brace position
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2006, 12:20
frequentflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brace position

Originally Posted by Sumatra
Obviously lessons were learned from the unfortunate Kegworth crash and new safety practices recommended.
Were there any infants on board and if so was the infant loop seat belt effective? (I'm trying to tie this in with Lufthansa's reply to a query posted here on Pprune)
There was indeed at least one baby on board the Boeing 737-400 which crashed at Kegworth.
I don't know whether or not an infant loop seat belt was being used but during the impact the child flew out of his mother's arms and travelled some distance rearwards through the cabin.
I believe he survived but sadly as I recall his mother passed away in hospital some days after the disaster.
There were at least two other older children I know of who died along with their mother.
A survivor told me at the time she had heard a child in the wreckage calling for his parents but sadly by the time rescuers reached him he had passed away.
I've worked as a journalist in the Belfast area for the past 25 years and have covered some harrowing stories but I have to say the Kegworth disaster is the one that really stands out in my mind.
Survivors' accounts of what happened were horrific and I never fly from Heathrow to Belfast without thinking of the victims.