PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do The Admin Branch Stand In Our Way?
Old 6th Feb 2006, 11:19
Cambridge Crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life assurance and use of MT

Whilst I think that the originator of this thread is being somewhat petulant, it gives me the opportunity to highlight a life assurance issue.
Many of you, poor churls, will have life assurance linked to endowment policies. Most policies will have a military exclusion clause, to wit, exempting the insurers from paying out if death or an incapacitating injury occurs if said injury was the result of 'military duties'. Several years ago, whilst still wearing 'light blue' I challenged my insurers on what defined military duties. In essence it was anything that happened whilst on duty. I mooted several mundane scenarios - eg being killed in a car crash on the M4 in an MT vehicle or being zapped by the elderly COMPAQ 286s that lurked in the far recesses of the office. The answer was as predictable as it was shameful: the Military Exclusion Clause would apply.
Bearing in mind that these two policies had been sold to me by an ex RN officer, who was 'accredited' to the Mess, where I signed up the two policies, I petitioned the insurer on two grounds: firstly their agent, in full knowledge of my circumstances, had sold inappropriate financial instruments and secondly, I had demonstarted due diligence as to the nature of my employ and therefore the risks entailed therein. After considerable correspondence, the insurer agreed to review the exclusion clauses on the event of my death; I have added their letter as a codicil to my will. The little faith that I had in the Capitalist system crumbled away at this juncture...

Last edited by Cambridge Crash; 6th Feb 2006 at 16:09.