PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Leak NG
Thread: Fuel Leak NG
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2006, 17:50
jonny dangerous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, rephrased.

I've had more time to think about my scenario. To follow the question, I submit my thoughts as I see it, and with no FOM directly in front of me, I trust I will be corrected as warranted.

I'm flying along, burning fuel from the center tank. No engine feeding is thus taking place from the left or right main fuel tank(s).

I notice the fuel quantity dropping in the right main tank.Subsequent comparison shows CTR tank quantity to be dropping at the same rate as the fuel flows (2) combined from each engine.

Do I end up at the "Engine" Fuel Leak checklist. And then shutdown the right engine? Is that what I do? Or have I incorrectly interpreted the checklist? Do any other NG operators have an Fuel "Tank" Leak checklist or equivalent in your FOM's?

Would I be prudent to assume the following: Since I am not feeding from the wing tanks, yet the fuel quantity is dropping abnormally fast in ONE of those tanks, could I assume that the engine has nothing to do with the leak, and therefore I will not shut it down right away?

Might I diagnose the scenario and decide to actually cross feed the other engine from that dropping tank. Would I want to burn as much fuel as I could from it, while the fuel is still onboard (and not scattered through the atmosphere)?

What about an imbalance of one wing tank full and the other empty in an emergency situation (after I have hastened the reduction in fuel quantity in one side)? Can I expect aileron trim (manual flight) to help me maintain straight flight, even if it means higher speeds required?

All of these questions being asked to avoid wishing for 45 minutes ago (as no doubt the Air Transat fellows might have wished). If I could start my diversion with two engines going and then use whatever fuel was onboard to get me there, could I do that?

My company's checklist leaves me a little confused. I don't want to bother the appropriate guys with this scenario until I have exhausted my own resources trying to understand what the answer is.

Cheers

P.S. ECAM, I miss you. But I am learning to think for my self. It's just so, well, hard.