PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell me this isn't true?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2006, 08:14
CashMachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK

TartAn Giant

Thanks for the condescending remarks. Thought i might hit a nerve!

Yes I did look at your public profile [I]after[I] I posted my comments, perhaps if you looked at mine you would know what trade I am! Not that that has anything to do with the issue!

War is shocking, paintings and "statements" less so.
Yes, thank you for that obvious statement!

You are right, everyone in this country has the right to free speech and long may it continue. As you may know a lot of people (black, white, asian etc) have fought and died defending that right.
BUT, free speech has it's limits. If I were to suggest black people were to only sit at the back of buses or that women shouldn't be allowed the vote would that be alright for you, hey it's free speech and it's part of history. As a responsible member of the Royal Air Force I should not hold those views and I certainly shouldn't express those views.

I fear we're drifting away from the issue here though.

I have to agree with Archimedes comment;
Better yet, omit the name plate entirely. Any new arrival to the mess unable to identify the portrait's subjects could be returned to training to rectify their shameful lack of historical knowledge.
Lets face it any officer worth his salt should recognise Guy Gibson and his DOG!