PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finally ! The News on Tankers !
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2006, 00:29
The Helpful Stacker

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
From what I hear on the grapevine Suppliers will never get a look in at driving them all the time that their is an MT trade falling over themselves to justify their jobs.

Strange. The RAF pays thousands every year to train non-MT personnel up to LGV 1 standard but will only let them drag 3 ton trailers behind 4 toners and not drive the 'Gucci' vehicles.

Anyway, they do seem like a lovely vehicle to drive around in but I'm glad my 'wing mong' days are behind me because I'd hate to be one of the poor sods trying to cam one of these behemoths up in a tactical situation. It was bad enough when they brought in the AFDV to replace the TART. Great, replace a small trailer based refuelling set-up and two APFC's that can be carried under a Chinny plus a L/R inside with a 'beefed up' version of the Brize Norton stalwart, the Roadrunner', that needs to be accompanied by either an M-WAD (which there are very few of) or an LM with GST (which is basically a civvy tanker painted green and can just about mount kerbs, let alone go anywhere slightly rough).

Anyway I digress. Best of luck to anyone on the rapidly becoming less so Tactical Supply Wing who has to use it.