PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC's at EK
Thread: DEC's at EK
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2006, 10:39
ernestkgann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Will, S Tramp, I appreciate that current circumstances now warrant you making your first posts on this site. Obviously the proposed conditions don't favour you so you've decided to write a letter and voice an opinion.
What I find slightly ironic is that only when something affects you personally do you hold your hand up. You also express some dismay at many people viewing but not contributing yet this is your first dalliance with the devil. We are all suffering because we are apathetic to most things that happen in the airline until they directly affect us.
My personal opinion is that because the airline is set up in the classic 'gulf model' of management (managers without power, rule by fear, like it or leave, guest workers, compliant regulator) nothing can change or get better unless outside forces dictate the change. This being the case Prune is actually the first step in alerting others, be they foreign regulators or prospective employees, that things in our airline are not right.
I have written letters in the past but have now given up. I think large numbers may make some difference and certainly ASRs do. A letter to TCAS only gets as far as TCAS. He is essentially powerless and it isn't in his interest to rock the boat too hard.
In short Prune does us lots of favours. In many ways it's the best representation we get in this kind of company.