PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STRESS - Its the Flt Cdr's responsibility!
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 22:41
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difficult thing is stress. What is OK for you might knock me for six. In an armed force we need to work under stress, but not all the time. It might be good to wind up the levels in an exercise, or important operation, but then wind them down again and let everyone relax. Trouble is, that don't seem possible these days.
OK, what to do about it.
First, stress is a work hazard, and contact with that hazard may cause accidents, and as a manager, you should Risk Assess all work place risks, including stress. To do any task, you need resource. This may be people, training. time, equipment...etc. If you don't have enough, you increase stress, and increase the risk of accident. having assessed the risk, bring the Risk Assessment to the notice of your boss. Point out what is needed. He can't then say he didn't know. Then, do the best you can. When the accident happens, you will have been seen to have acted reasonably, and with "due dilligence" and so you are off the hook. You are only liable in law if you have acted negligently.
The investigation now looks for who is responsible. This is usually the senior manager (or perhaps Station Commander in service speak) He is the person who did not give you the resource you needed, but still expected you to do the job. In civi language, he is the "Controlling Mind" and so is ultimatly responsible.
Don't let people say that Flight Commanders/SNCO i/c Flights will carry the can if an accident happens. This in H&S law is just not true. That is unless YOU have acted negligently.
The General Duties put on an employee (i.e. a member of the RAF of whatever rank) under Section 2 of the H&S at Work Act 1974 only require him to co-operate with his employer (i.e.the RAF) and to do what is reasonable to prevent his workmates doing anything dangerous. The employer on the other hand has lots of duties. Telling the workforce that THEY are reponsible is complete Bulls**t.
(Invoice for professional consultation is in the post)

Last edited by RayDarr; 2nd Feb 2006 at 22:54.