PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial & Atpl Theory Subjects
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 05:53
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBA747

No I haven’t missed the point. By the way I’m not old school. I’ve still got 22 odd years before I have to retire. I really find it a pain in the a**e that some of the younger generation and pilots who have been in this industry for five seconds think they know everything about it. I will let you in on a little secret sunshine, you don’t. There are powers that be above me that are driving down the job description of an airline pilot. Those powers are at board level of most airlines. They are placing immense pressure on management in Ops departments and recruitment departments to recruit pilots on never ending lowering conditions. The only way they can do this is by lowering the entry requirements. Fact, nine out ten resumes we have on file are from pilots without degrees. They meet all our requirements with regard to experience and education. What do you think would happen to pilot wages and conditions if all of a sudden we and the industry said 9/10 of those on file are now no longer suitable for employment simply because they don’t have degrees? The reality is the percentage of pilots with degrees hasn’t significantly changed over the last 20 years and isn’t going to change much in the future if the current generation of pilots coming through is anything to go by. If every pilot had a degree that would be a different story but they don’t. The reality is you don’t need a degree to do this job and the board members and upper level management know this and are using it to their advantage to drive conditions down. If you think it is the recruiters that are setting the minimum entry requirements then you have a lot to learn about this industry. Accountants run airlines and will continue to drive cost and conditions down. They are the facts and you are just going to have live with it unfortunately.