PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS to sack all Longhaul Pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 20:43
Grunf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, what to say about Baltic or any other pilots coming from smaller countries of eastern Europe?

Do they have any long haul experience (757, 767, 777, 747, A330, A340, MD/DC 10,11)? Il 68, 86, 96, Tu 204?

I do not see that.

let's say that it would be understandable (but questionable) to hire them in regionals (see Crossair's experience with Moldavian crews).

I would be very cautious and also as a passenger I would avoid companies hiring them I would approach it the same way as observing airliners sending their a/c for C and D check to a 3. world country. Having a license, as someone nicely said, is not enough.

Otherwise they wouldn't be so cheap, right?

I do recall the same type of a problem with structural engineers (design, stress) hired by Airbus (through a contracting agency) - originating from Romania - who were, let's say, not well versed in English. But they had one advantage: they were ready to work for 50% less then anybody else on the market. Agency was happy, Airbus was (initially) happy. They were suppose to do the analysis and write certification reports.

Result?

Airbus had to rehire a new batch of engineers capable of writing certification reports with appropriate knowledge of English necessary to compile a sane report. What these guys produced was simply crap. Few of them new some English but the agency presented the as fully fluent. Guess how good is that agency's rating between manufacturers now?

I guess this would be a good lesson for SAS or anyone else trying to cut corners. Flying needs experience in the environment meaning appropriate conduct of English, used to long haul flight and not only the willingness to work and eagerness to face the challenge.

Cheers,

Last edited by Grunf; 2nd Feb 2006 at 19:10.