PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Leak NG
Thread: Fuel Leak NG
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 14:32
jonny dangerous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Leak NG

Just going over the Non Normal Checklist for the NG, in the Fuel section. Suppose you're flying along and fuel quantity is dropping abnormally fast from a left or right main tank.

Our checklist has an "Engine Fuel Leak" checklist and a Fuel "Low" checklist. Is it possible on the NG to have a leak from the tank that is unlike the Air Transat Azores incident, i.e. it is not from the engine pylon area? What I am getting at, is that the "Engine" Fuel Leak checklist has a six or so criteria, any one of which may confirm an "Engine" Fuel Leak...this will then lead to a shutting down of that engine, if I'm not misreading the checklist.

Although our company is not ETOPS, I'll use that scenario as an example, as there are operators out there who are ETOPS with the NG. If you decide that it is a "Leak", the most applicable checklist that I see, is the "Engine" Fuel Leak checklist. Would I follow that checklist, shut down that engine, creating the need to descend, and divert to a suitable alternate? Or is there a way to diagnose this leak first, to see if there is a need to shut the engine down? (Diversion still to follow). Does Boeing allow for the possibility of a leak from elsewhere?

I can't remember what the 320/330 does in that situation, post Air Transat.

The Fuel Low checklist mentions crossfeeding etc, and no shutdown. But seems to be for a different situation. What say you aviators?

Cheers

Last edited by jonny dangerous; 7th Feb 2006 at 21:35.