PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Employment in Canada
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2006, 09:48
Dirty Harry 76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Stefair

This type of question has been asked before, see if the search function is working?

Very quickly, I presume you are from the UK. Not sure about Canada but lived in the US and also have an Enginering Degree from the UK.

First of all, when you are in the USA doing your Masters Degree, although you have the right to reside as a student will you have the right to work there? This will be your biggest obsticle and is a complex area.

Basically the North American (US and Canada) and JAR systems are very different when you start your Career. The North American System is based on QUANTITY of hours, you get your PPL, IR, CPL, CFI, MEI, CFII and when you reach the heights of 1000hrs plus (with 250hrs multi), you apply to the Cummuters for a regional airline job (TP of RG Jet) and work your way up to a shiney Boeing or Scarebus.

In JAR land the airlines prefer QUALITY hours. Someone with 250 to 500hrs piston who knows someone within an operator or turns up in the right place at the right time is more likely to get a job than someone with thousands of hours of Cessna time from North America. My advice to you would be:

1. If you are going to stay in North America, get yourself into THEIR system and follow it.

2. If your going to Fly in JAR Land do your PPL and hour building in US/Canada and then come back to Europe to do your Ground exams, CPL and IR.

3.Until you have 3000hrs of for example jet time your FAA ratings will be worthless in Europe and vice versa. DECIDE which route you want to go.

4. Regarding your degree, your doing the right thing. Generally a Flying licence is the basic quilification needed , however, if things dont work out or you loose your medical in the future you have something to fall back on. Some of the majors ask for proof of above average academic performance....a decent BEng is more than adequate.

5. IF you really want to Fly I think a Masters is over kill. Why not just get your B degree and start your training?

6. If you decide to get your Masters I can recommend San Diego . Canada is too cold .