PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 D check cancelled due to big announcment
Old 31st Jan 2006, 09:51
numbskull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Dog, CX is a very reputable airline with a great reputation for maintenance(obviously by local engineers).

However they are maintaining their own planes and they have an extensive experience and tradition of maintaining aircraft.

However getting a newly opened asian MRO to carry out D checks on Qantas aircraft is an entirely different story. Even if the quality was there,(and who would know because you would have to pull the aircraft to pieces before you would find that huge piece of corrossion that was missed), the chances are that they would increase the price once you lost you ability to carry out the maintenance yourself anyway.

I know a few people who have done 3 month contracts in these sort of operations and the stories they come back with are scary.

It's nice to be trusting Hot Dog, but do you take your car to the cheapest garage and just believe they they are doing what they are charging you for. Or do you send you car to someone that you know will look after it properly?

Qantas used to have a reputation for excellence in maintenance and servicing of their aircraft. I believe they are largely relying on reputation these days. Length of time between checks have been extended, ground time for these checks have been shortened, more work being done by third party operaters. These are facts and please don't try and tell me that quality will not suffer. I'm sure the spin doctors will be able to tell a good story though.

Last edited by numbskull; 31st Jan 2006 at 10:06.