PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bah humbug or fair play if you can manage it? RAF and the Winter Olympics
Old 30th Jan 2006, 11:54
Cambridge Crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bah Humbug or Leadership?

I was very fortunate to be selected during Op Granby to represent the RAF, and then the country, at a posh sport. A number of other light-blue were similarly selected and at a PR bash in Chelsea, CAS (the much denigrated Sir Peter Harding) addressed a large, primarily civilian, audience where he stressed the role of leadership and team-playing that sport and adventurous activities engendered. It was clear he was conscious of criticisms that could be levelled, ie allowing personnel off for a year 'when there was a war on' so he said 'if you want to see what the demands of leadership in the RAF are, look at our guys over Iraq', or words to that effect. This led to a round of rigorous head-nodding and then spontaneous clapping from the assembled masses, many from the otherwise cynical IT industry.

I had only just transferred to the RAF, and under the old system I was manpower non-effective during my year out. Nonetheless, for many years later I was tarred with the sobriquiet of 'Oh, that's that chap who spends all his time playing sport' (admittedly admin salad-dodgers). Sadly it didn't help in the promotion stakes but I took comfort from the fact that I had represented my Service and my country in a tough and demanding sport. What appology is needed?