PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brace position
Thread: Brace position
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2006, 09:18
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozzy
Expanding... I've always wondered if the life vests demo is entirely worthwhile.Ozzy
The life-jacket demo has a value besides a mid-ocean ditching: Many runways protrude into lakes/oceans, or have departure/approach tracks that run across water. Any kind of incident on take-off or landing may result in the aircraft (and passengers) getting unexpectedly wet. Two particular incidents spring to mind, not sure why (must have been discussed on a training course?):
  • 20 September 1989; USAir 737-400; La Guardia Airport, New York - The aircraft ended up in Flushing Bay on a dark and freezing night after coming off the end of a runway on take-off
  • 13 January 1982; Air Florida 737-200; Washington, DC - The aircraft struck a bridge and ended up in the Potomac: Life jackets were later discovered with teeth marks on - people had been unable to open and inflate them.
No doubt others will have access to more detailed information about these accidents: From the Cabin side, all we need to know is that you can get wet when you least expect it (Maybe not the best way to phrase that on reflection, but you know what I mean).

BTW - One of the more useful things that can be done to enhance your survival chances is to dress appropriately for the weather outside should you evacuate. At destinations where the temperature is below freezing, I require my crew to keep either boots, jackets, cardigans or sweaters on until after take-off (in short any uniform item that might keep them warmer without hindering movement). It would be a pity if we survived an accident and subsequent evac, only to be rendered ineffective afterward by the cold. The same also applies to passengers, although we never say anything - a Tee Shirt might not be the best thing to strip down to immediately!!