PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors using GPS whilst students are in aircraft
Old 28th Jan 2006, 17:46
mumbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

No one is suggesting that the student uses a GPS for any part of his Nav. Why not make all instructors dispense with their maps to show how brilliant they are and while we are at it, start to wear our pants on the outside. We are as instructors super human.

I had an instructor who prided himself at not needing a map. Never carried one and never used a whiz wheel. Did I think of him as a great aviator who obviously had the mind of a nomad. No, I thought of him as someone with a very high opinion of himself who had obviously been flying around the circuit too long and would one day drop himself in the sticky.

Hunybun do you mean to tell me that you have never tune in the NDB or DME to a station while the student flies pure VFR to have available an accurate loc stat if requested.

The reason my cage has been rattled on this subject is because a colleague of mine was killed during a live firing exercise back in the 80s. He made a minor mistake at night with his map and compass in close country. Up to that point it had been macho to scoff at the shiny gizmo for the navigationally challenged. A £70 GPS would have saved his life and saves others to this day.

Students need to learn VFR navigation in order to pass their skills test. That is something we can all agree on. Instructors carrying a GPS on their laps for what ever purpose should matter not a jot, as long as the instruction on VFR navigation is good.

I’m ranting again. Sorry!!

Mumbo