PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors using GPS whilst students are in aircraft
Old 28th Jan 2006, 16:39
mumbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

I am not usually this belligerent, but when I hear pious drivel by people who attempt to boost their own egos by saying its their way or the high way, infuriates me. All instructors will have past a PPL test and a CPL test. In both you demonstrate you have the skill to navigate visually to the standard required to pass the tests. To come on and say in this forum, that because someone uses a modern piece of gadgetry to assist him in making the teaching environment better shows a degree of arrogance and ignorance.
It is like saying a maths teacher should not use a calculator. The maths teacher is their to teach mathematical techniques, not to show how good he is doing sums in his head!
I have been involved in teaching/instructing for 20 years. I have only recently become a flying instructor. During my time in training I have come across some excellent instructors and some weak instructors. A good instructor/teacher is one that can asses the students ability and mould his methods of instruction to best suit the individual students needs and is not determined by what he uses to do this. Flying is not a black art.
I purchased a Garmin etrex on e-bay for £70 and its great!! It shows a basic Course line and will show if you are left/right of track. This gives me as a instructor early situational awareness from the outset as to what the student is doing. This means that I have had loads of time to prepare to lead the student to the right conclusion during any navigational exercise. The GPS allows me as an instructor more time to invest in teaching in the same way a calculator assists a maths teacher.

Sorry to all if I have sounded as if I am on a rant. Someone must have rattled my cage today. I off for a beer.

Mumbo