PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Fly African style and live to talk about it
Old 28th Jan 2006, 08:22
Woof etc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Coast

Example. Algerian desert middle of summer (you should be able to appreciate). Prop de-icing goes on the blink. You check the MEL and see that it is an MEL item, category C. No required for despath = 0 with condition that you do not fly into known icing condtions (unlikely since OAT = 50 deg). You have 10 days to have the defect fixed otherwise aircraft is technically illegal. The spare parts have to be brought up from SA and will probably take 2 weeks min to clear customs.

Do you

a. Write the defect in the folio and ground the aircraft after 10 days.
b. Not write the item in the folio, advise the engineers of the defect and contine to fly.

I agree 100 percent with what has said above, however sometimes I think a bit of discretion needs to be used. Then again make sure all the records are legal because we all know who will take the can if the proverbial hits the fan.

I know of a certain airline is SA that makes a habit of swapping kit between aircraft to keep things 'legal' in terms of the MEL requirements.