PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India: Land of Opportunity...OR IS IT???
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2006, 06:27
DesiPilot
The Bumblebee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well,
I should have been more clear, I did convert my licence to Indian licenses in 1997, since then I have been coming back to India every year to keep my medical and my IR current.
As for expat flying right seat, I asked my friends yesterday and no Expat is flying right seat unless he/she is an TRI/TRE and they are training an Indian citizen who is training to be a captain or doing his route checks/loft training. As per Indian goverment regulations one of the pilots must be an Indian citizen.
As for the CRM, well, I have heard stories as well, but then its the cultural thing (not saying it is a good thing) that the junior pilot (250 or so hours) will not talk back to a Sr Captain. I will let you know of my experiences, but I am sure I am considered well experienced in India with 4600+ hours.
All the ex-pats in Air India are flying 777's. No expats in 744's. I am not sure what will happen once they start receiving 787's!!!
As for me, I intended to join as Sr. FO but I have to settle with FO until I get my Indian ATPL, as this is one of the requirments. But than again I was told in the interview that they are so short of qualifiied people that with 500 hours on type I will be eligible for an upgrade (not necessorily I will get one). The next set of ATP exams in India are in April and I am sitting in those exams (the pay difference is almost $2000 pm).
One of the bad things I have heard about aviation in India is rostering/scheduling. They seem to work only a day in advance. So you will know your schedule for next day a day before. Only Jet gives you a weeks schedule in advance. So if you are coming from USA, like me, you can forget about months schedule in advance. But I am sure with time this will change as well, as they can better utilize their crews with advance scheduling.
MSBatcha777,
You will have to convert your licence to indian licence. Pass either the conversion exam (one exam) or regular exam (three exams). You are exempted from technical exam. You will also be required to pass class I medical, a gft by day and night and IR skill test. You will also need ME rating, I suggest get in touch with DGCA and try to get an NOC to complete your ME course and skill test in Malaysia. There are only a few clubs that have ME airplane and examiner available and they will charge you an arm and a leg. (Orient in Pondicherry charges Rs 25,000 per hour for a Seneca III, thats approx US$550 per hour).