PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - caravan crash at caloundra
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2006, 01:13
Gen Ties

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hair of the dogma

OK, intermediate idle was a bad choice of words, but there is a min pwr setting for use of the aircon. (BTW I made no mention of an intermediate idle ident).

The min pwr for aircon ops are generally higher than lo idle, so the condition lever has to be moved forward to achieve that setting.

I take that you realize that numerous power settings are achievable between lo and hi idle which may be set by moving the condition lever anywhere you want it to be.

Bilbert,

you may very well be right re the AFM procedures requiring the condition lever to be moved to Hi prior to take off, but that is not what caused my response to you.

"If you have Lo Idle improperly set in flight, the engine will slow down to 52% which is barely self sustaining and can be a flameout risk (hence CS)."

That my friend, is wrong. 52% is not barely self sustaining, it is just LO IDLE. There is no way known that Pratts would have an cockpit achievable power setting that would even come close to causing a flameout.

Justathought

we were meaning leaving it there all the time, the only effects will be greater discing effect and longer to spool up when needing reverse

And with you I totally agree, that says it all in a nutshell.