PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What does a Flying Instructor earn ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2002, 18:00
Sunland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dogimed; Instructing can be a great way to start your flying career but there are already too many Instructors who are willing to work for free. The pay is quite low but the work can be enjoyable. . .. .The low pay rates are partly due to;. .. .*Cost of running a training organisation. I know of schools that pay CASA, Airservices, Dept. of Education, Privatised Airport charges that have increased 25-100% in the last couple of years. Training rates have not changed much at all.. . . .*The current price of flight training. The rates charged are far too low in order for a decent wage to be paid to Instructors. Competition is good to keep rates down but a lot of students choose the cheapest school and enjoy low training rates then become Instructors and expect award wages. Instructors should get the award but average training rates need to be a lot higher. Try getting a decent tradesman or IT guy/gal for less than $75 per hour.. .. .*Current regulations; Junior Instructors in Australia require supervision. This means senior Instructors must supervise, be on duty or be contactable when junior Instructors are working. This can mean a loss of productivity to a training school.. .. .Try a school with a good reputation (if you are not happy where you are now). Talk to the Instructors and ask their opinion (ask their pay rates - if they don't mind) - also talk to the owners or managers about future career prospects. Most schools will give preferance to people they have trained.. .. .I agree with 'belowtenthousand' - don't prostitute yourself. However, the notion that - . .. ."aviation operators/ owners aren't loving, caring, sharing people, they are simply out to make a quick buck in an industry that already has incredibly small (read nil) profit margins" . .. .- Is not accurate; Most operators I know are hard working and in it for the long term 'not for the quick buck'(I know a few ratbags as well). The industry does it tough and I would like to see a more united front by operators and pilots to fight the increased charges that are levied by CASA, Airservices and the new owners of the airports.. .. .Dogimed, good luck with your future mate. Just remember - you get what you pay for.