PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation Crash in California
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 22:45
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting stuff indeed. FL380 says to me that this was not a single pilot citation.

C560 is a pretty new bird with lots of nice bells and whistles(maybe enhanced groun prox too), one earlier report called it a different type built in 1994.

as to those who want to wait for the investigation, that is just fine...wait for about one year before reading anything on the forum I guess.

why did I mention fatigue? Well arrving at 6:36 pacific standard time means to me that they took off some time around 4 am pacific, which means they were probably (the pilots that is) were awake since 2 am. Maybe not alot of sleep. They were at high altitude basking in the rising sun and descended into the darkness of civil twilight (sunrise there about 6:50 am pst).

Someone who seems to be a qualified observer reports that the GEAR was up.

YIKES.

If I am speculating, I think it is informed speculating and not just, "gee those guys must be #$%^&*up)"

AS to the santa anna's, well the metars don't bare that out with the winds from the east about 5 knots.

I do hope you all go to airnav.com and look up KCRQ. you can pull the approach plate and read the funny restrictions and some of the other oddities of the airport.

some research I did shows the citation ultra encore (560) can stop in 880 metres just shy of 2800 feet. even landing beyond glideslope they should have had adequate room. of course GEAR up spoils the whole landing equation; the reduced parasite drag and all that rot.

An instant of "microsleep" caused a DC8 cargo plane to crash at the US Navy base in Guantanamo bay, cuba a few years ago. the crew was luckier though , fell asleep on base to final turn, but survived.