PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cargo or Etihad 767 ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 21:20
4PW's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Days off in Singapore

There is one more thing I should clarify.

A previous poster suggested you'd often be away for 13 days at a stretch.

Though I'm sure it was not meant to be, that's a bit misleading.

An actual four week period sees me in Singapore with 14 days off, completely free of duty.

Another period had me off for nine days in three weeks.

This is more regular than being away 13 days, turning about in three and going off again, with both yourself and the family spinning like a top.

On the subject of a Command: there is absolutely no question that if you have the experience and show the ability necessary for the responsibilities of Command, you will be training for it in exactly three years.

This new provision for expat F/Os to upgrade to Command in three years requires the F/O to have previous Command experience, albeit insufficient for a Direct Entry Command.

However, beware that should you not have any Command experience on large or small jets upon joining, you will not qualify for the very, very new concept on offer - a three year F/O expat position followed by Command training on local conditions, should you pass.

Going from an expat contract to a local contract means, precisely, no housing or educational assistance.

You should also be aware that if you were to come here without any Command experience to join as an expat contracted First Officer there is very little chance for you to be upgraded.

Nothwithstanding the above, to be considered for Command an expat F/O must go off the expat contract onto a local contract, wait roughly five more years on local terms as an F/O before going into the Command pool to wait in line behind more qualified and better placed Singaporeans who, as expected, are considered before expat F/Os on local contracts.

That's the way it is now.

Like everything else in life, it's all about making an informed decision.

Yet, ending on a bright note, Cargo is in a rampant growth phase.

SIAC needs 180 Captains and 180 First Officers, now. Current strength is a mere 80 plus 50 respectively, or thereabouts.

I hope this makes things clearer for you and others.

You could certainly do worse........

Last edited by 4PW's; 24th Jan 2006 at 21:47.