PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a little disillusioned
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2006, 10:43
DogsBolx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh Emerald, now there's a story.

I went for interview at Emerald early summer 2001. It was the most informal interview I had been to (or since). I was literally in there for 5 mins. "You are just the sort of chap we are looking for. A man of your calibre will get command after the minimum 2 winters in the right seat." etc etc. They offered me a job immediately. I was relieved as my old employer had gone t*ts up some months previously. On the way home I rang the wife and my parents to tell them the news and we had a special dinner that night to celebrate.
A week passed and nothing was heard from Emerald. I rang them to say that I had not received my written job offer. They said that they usually don't do that sort of thing but if I wanted one, then they would send one. This they did. I still have the letter. It says that I had been offered a position with Emerald. An exact date could not be given but my employment would start at the next training course, within the next few weeks.
A month or so passed and nothing was heard from Emerald so I rang them up again. They put me through to a management person. All I said was " Hello my name is ***** and I have a written job offer from you dated a couple of months ago....." and this guy freaked out. He said that the job offer is not legally binding and not to ring again and put the phone down on me. I tried ringing back but he was in meetings all day.
The next day I received a letter from him (which I also still have) stating that the written job offer I had received was not legally binding and not to contact them again.
And that was it. How do you explain to your family that the job you were offered is not going to happen? And for what reason?
Four and a half years have passed and I now fly biz jets, sometimes into bases that operate Emerald aircraft. I sometimes see the crews going out to start their night shifts in their filthy aircraft (how much does it cost to wash a plane just once in a while?), usually as I'm finishing for the day. I smile to myself and think that a***hole at Emerald did me a big favour. My career took a different route towards a job that I consider is the best in the world.
Thanks Emerald.