PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Rumour
Thread: CAA Rumour
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 23:54
RSQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caa/vs Faa

What I seem to glean from reading these replies is that the CAA exams are outmoded, and having just written the FAA ATP in December, as well as holding a local licence, allow me to comment from the side of experience - with the exception of law, some met, and flight ops and procedures, the CAA model is outdated and so much bull****.
I bought the King ATP course and spent a full week closeted in a hotel room, answered a thousand questions by looking at the answers and then working them back to see how the answers were reached. Believe me, the 1,000 questions were a damn sight more oriented towards real life flight operations than our hogwash is. From the level of 20 odd years in aviation, 95% of what is in our exams is totally useless. However, our flight tests are also a joke. The FAA DE grills you orally for at least 3 hours on the aircraft you want to fly, then you demonstrate 3 stalls in different configurations, three approaches at least one of which includes a missed and one a single engine. Steep turns etc all done to a pre-agreed set of standards, some of which can be re-done immediately, some requiring a retest. At least you know where you stand !
So - the upshot is - our exams are not a filter of a certain standard, our flight tests are silly, and our standards overall are lower than those in the US. I suggest a website with all the questions collected for plotting, radio aids, and nav. Publish the wole damn lot until the CAA pulls fingers from collective nether regions and updates their system !