PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fed up of Poor FO's
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2006, 10:40
error_401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all who consider low hour F/O's with proper attitude and personality worthy to fly large aircraft even at low hours.

And yes I know that I don't know. I can learn something every flight.

My 1 cent of experience after 1 1/2 years of Turboprop flying. Yes I support that experience makes a difference. Yes experience helps in the flight deck.

But how are we supposed to get experience when nobody would hire unexperienced F/O's? We can't.
It might be good practice to require more hours in commercial aviation than the MNM around 200 hours on SEP/MEP but then these hours should be accessible. But where to get them in times like these where you have to pay to fly or are just lucky to fly for free?

On the other hand what are these magical 1500 hours single pilot worth in a 737?
In my opinion? The same as a couple hundred hours flying on SEP and MEP. After some 250 hours in SEP's in most "normal" environments you have seen it. It may simply add nothing valuable to what you really need to know in JAR/FAR 125 ops. Does it help in other aspects? Yes sure as pointed out in "justathougt's" post on decision making and experience further down. Don't get me wrong. I have in mind the hours like sitting next to a student pilot in endless circuit trainings and not having seen a single major problem like icing combined with a boots failure in ones life.

Just - why would renown companies consider setting up their training for the medium jets for ab-initio pilots to enter the line at 250+ hours? Why would they even think it better to hire low hour cadets from their own flight schools then hiring 2'000 hour SP's?
Does training and strict attitude testing make the difference?

Important to me is to make sure I learn. I try to be open minded all the time. Try not to make the same mistake more than twice. Listen and look what all the other pilots do (yes not just the CAPT next to me). And try to make decisions based on my experience, then cross-checking with my CAPT. I hope this sheds some light on my attitude to this job.

I will reconsider this post when passing 1'500 hours and maybe 5'000 hours.

The value of proper basic, type rating and line training? Invaluable.
And this is where we can really learn and where the dangers are if not properly done.

Last edited by error_401; 2nd Feb 2006 at 23:51.