PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS UK ATCO Pay offer: What do you think?
Old 20th Jan 2006, 09:15
ukatco_535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250kts

Good reply; the 3 extra days are used by a lot of units already....

As for shift allowance; I agree - why should units that finish at 10 at night get the same money as 24hr units?? Why should someone who refuses to do nights for 'personal reasons' at a 24hr unit get the full shift allowance?

I don't see too many strings attached - how would we achieve a better pay deal?? We are already screwing the new entrants to £10,000 a year. Any gain for ATCOs will have to come from somewhere.

Yes the company made a profit last year, but in comparison to the amount of outstanding debt, it was not much, especially as we are having to deal with new lower route charges.

I would like more money but I do not know how it is going to be achieved.... If the vote is NO I hope people are prepared for no pay rise this year...... the union has had 2 years to prepare for this one and it is still not implemented on time, even if we return a yes vote it will not be in the pay until March at the earliest - 3 months after the due date.

I personally will be voting no, but not because I think the main offer is rubbish; I think that as a company we are going to go rapidly downhill if we do not attract the right people into the college in the first place (if the college remains much longer - tho thats a different rumour); we cannot pay peanuts if we do not want to attract monkeys.

The other reason I will be voting no is the OJTI training pay. I think it is a very bad idea to encourage unscrupulous OJTIs to train longer and longer to get more money - again, it will not benefit the trainee and that, in turn will not benefit us. There is also a great risk of select individuals being given more training slots if they are mates with the rosterer.

There are watches at certain units that have not validated ab initios for years - we should not encourage these people by giving them more money; they should have their OJTI ticket ripped up.

We could get money savings if we trimmed down some of the most limp wristed and ineffectual management I have ever worked with; and stopped signing up to courses such as TRM. If we do have to do these courses, why not do them in house, instead of wasting £3 million on hotels etc??