PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett F28's on the move
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2001, 13:35
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greybeard - EWF and EWG were the F28-3000 "Saudi" twins at Eeenie Weenie. They were both bought by EW from Saudia and underwent a huge refit at TMW including installation of manually actuated drop oxy mask system that was designed and built by the TMW Lames. They ran in 64 saleable seat config - the 3000 I believe is the power plant landing gear and wing of the 4000 on the 1000 fuselage. A total sportscar. The guys up front adaored them. Mike Rigg did SYD DPO chock to chock in 70 minutes one night - with one of my trafficies onboard. Entered downwind at about Warp factor 3 - washed of the speed on turn onto base an greased on in. My mate Lance came off white - all he could say was "we passed a 727 - Riggy told us where to look down for him and we roared past!!!" Never a hint of a brake release or landing weight problem but I think I do recall them having a small achillies heel with zero fuel weight - same as the 1000. I stand to be corrected though.

Buster - If you can get near Delta - please do. I just so miss the old girls. If anyone gets anywhere near EWB please give her a kisson the radome - that is what I did when she was the first EW F28 into DPO when they were introduced - and also the first one back after the '89 uproar.Nosewheel right on the dot both times. I know I know - but there in no judgement or agro in that statement. The girls are part of my life and those of many others. My sons are now 14 and 16 - but still remember their rides on the F28s - Uncle Nifty (Nev Maguire) on the flight deck and the eldest in the jump for a landing that he still talks about - and the fleet - they called Alfie Bruce Charlie and Douglas at that time.

Daddys aeroplanes have sadly left the building.

Best all

EWL