PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T status in KL FIR
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2006, 04:40
The Rage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Day Old Chap,

Actually, its great to see u atc'ers come on line and get inputs.
Its a shame u guys cant get hkg and sin, maybe we can try to get that from our side to help u guys out.
Over the years ive operated into very congested terminals and like lhr the best. What u have going here over PK is a good start, next maybe u could have the freq's for both the airways there segregated, that way it cuts down on the chatter, london has that and u hardly hear dep's on the same freq, or arrivals on the other.
In lhr there were dep's and arr's every minute, im very comfortable with 5 nm seperations on app except when folloeing a 757, which we hardly get. Its quite common to get landing clearence at 500' in heathrow with the guy just clearing in front. Speed restrictions during peak hours is good, and have this implemented all the way on the star. Its also very common to get good speed management from the pilots themselves, something i strive from my young apprentice's. 160 till 4 miles is good.

The othere thing is to get flow control to separate a/c based on distance rather than time, and we can actually start slowing down very far out. I understand what u see on the radar is ground speed, therefore in cruise get the guys to reduce speed based on their G/S. Its common in europe for the controller to say "reduce ground speed by 20kts". But this should apply in high level cruise. The other bigger factor that i notice screws things up is wx in the terminal area. Maybe planes could all be vectored via overhead to the west if arr from east , coz the wx generally builds up over the main range. Have 1 app point where the guys should be vectored to, where they would be req to arrive at a certain speed based on dist as seperation.
If u guys are uncomfortable with dual runway approaches then try them during non peak hour's, as u build up confidence try them during peak hours. And planes should be put on the runway where they would be closes to in terms of parking position's, or have the w/b planes on 1 and narrow on the other, that way u reduce app seperation.

As ive said before, get your guys in touch with the association and maybe we could have a teh tarik session somewhere, maybe more. Thanks for the invite to ATC kl, would love to vist, have done bki and kch, and have got to know some off the guys there, and we exchange loads of info.
SQ and their atc guys do loads of this and maybe thats why they have improved a great deal. And this is the first steps that we have taken on that road.
Rome wasnt built in a day.

The Rage
Ciao.