PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss European Air Lines - Pheonix or Funeral
Old 17th Jan 2006, 14:05
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gretchen, you have to compare the business models, not the country size. What an unreflected comment you made. Just because USA has a well working LCC Southwest doesn't mean that Europe also has to have 300+ 737! "It's the business model, stupid!" (free after Bill Clinton).
Belgium might have more people than CH but that doesn't mean that they need more or bigger aircraft. It depends on the market, and that one is bigger in Switzerland because of its economical characteristics, its geografical location aso. SN not only operates regional a/c but also a whole fleet of A320 und A330. They are operated by former regional pilots at their respective pay.
Hence most of the 2.5 bn were spent due to a complete off-the-market modell, called 26/26, which was only invented by some Aeropers number wizzards. You have to know: The whole government had no single independent consultant and relied only on Aeropers power group - which was of course in favour of their aircraft.
But I can guarantee you, that Suters/Ospels business with Embraer 170 (once 100 on order) would have worked. Unfortunately at the very same time the Avro Crash in Bassersdorf happened, so Aeropers could play the "we are better song".
And about this repeated union bash: Sorry, I have to disagree: Crossair pilots never wanted more, never wanted the same pay, never wanted to take over. They just wanted that their contracts where granted. Which is a fair right. They said: sorry, we do not accept the slaughter of our workforce in favour of Aeropers. Dose said, no problem, I will negotiate in your sense. Which he didn't of course. Franz said: I can't attack Aeropers, they are too strong. So he attacks SPA. And finally, Brennwald, now COO of Swiss, former Aeropers member: My task is only fullfilled when the last Crossair pilots has been sacked. Gretchen, you want more?
Dani

Last edited by Dani; 17th Jan 2006 at 14:22.