PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan/ANA & expat pilots (Merged).
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 10:45
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Air Japan/ANA & expat pilots

I've never seen a Jap pilot with anything but the most basic of skills, and even those not too polished. They hate disengaging the auto pilot, and they'd use it for take off if they could.
In fact, I have noticed quite the opposite, JapJok - to the point that it p!sses me off!
The F/O's disengage the A/P and the A/T quite early on just about EVERY approach (although they do leave the F/D on), and do quite a nice job of hand flying the intercept and subsequent final approach.
With 17k something hours, I resist the temptation, and usually leave the whole shebang engaged until the last possible moment!

Are you telling me that you are working in Japan for less than local pilots?? Your conditions are less??
Yes, it's true, some of our conditions ARE less
OTOH, some are better
We're trying hard to meet somewhere in the middle - it's a great way to play the management off against themselves!
(Always cry poor )
You seem like a fish out of water, JapJok - and from the sentiments expressed, you probably are, regardless of which country you live in! (And you can be such a catty bitch when the mood swing takes you )

You make a valid point, glekichi,
It got to the point where nobody would pick that I wasnt Japanese over the phone.
For some of the Japanese, HEARING & SEEING a gaijin speaking their language seems to tumble their gyros - they find it hard to comprehend that a non-Japanese can converse with them in their own language.
Several times I have had the experience of saying something in Nihongo to one of them, only to met with a blank look - however if a Japanese says the SAME thing to them, it isn't a problem.
Some of them just don't expect a gaijin to be able to speak Japanese (although I have to confess my ability is fairly limited).

would be interesting to know what GA pays like in Japan..
G.A. jobs are probably harder to come by than airline jobs. I know of one of our F/O's here who applied for a G.A. job, but missed out (he wanted the assurance of being home EVERY night).
Very few of our F/O's have had G.A. experience prior to staring work with JAL - G.A. jobs are well paid, and few and far between.