PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Manston to Sunderland trip
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2006, 18:10
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Advice on Manston to Sunderland trip

Did I say VOR to VOR ?...I don't think so ! I just said get above 95% of the private GA traffic.

It makes no sence to me that almost all the VFR traffic in the UK flys between the ground and 2400 ft when the most fuel efficent level for a non-turbocharged aircraft is between 6000 & 8000 ft.

Take into account the fuel to TOC and the reduction of airspeed in the climb vs the extra TAS at altitude and and the reduced fuel flow you will find the FL60 break even is on a trip of about 100NM.

If increasing the fuel flow, time taken, risk of mid-air collision, ATC workload and reducing the radio navigation options, radar cover, distance that you can see and glide are the price of a "perfectly enjoyable VFR trip" then I must have missed something ?!.

I would far rather be at FL60 in the smooth air at that level I can see sometimes for 50 miles with the big picture laid out before me and very little other traffic rather that being at 2000 ft in the industrial haze trying not to hit several aircraft who are not at all sure of there exact location.