PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing & GA or RAAF, hmmmm
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2001, 03:32
Ray Dar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PHS,

That last remark just typified the attitude.......

AOTW has more experience in many things that you would only dream of.

The fast jet world is not desired by all, and after being involved in selection processes for airctaft types it is not the best that always go to fast jets, many other ADF roles are as demanding if not more. Each to their own. I have seen the dux of a course go other than fast jet, and I have seen last on course go there as well.

As mentioned above it is certainly not the easy option, but the rewards a enormous. The actual hours in the logbook at the end of the year are irrelavant, it is the type of flying and the professionalism that count. I know in civvy street that the first thing that is mentioned is hours, but having been on both sides of the fence it's the quality not the quantity !

Incidentally if you jon thru ADFA and complete pilots course you will be doing 15 plus years in the RAAF before you can get out, (3 at ADFA 12-18 mnths on course or waiting and 11 years after grad)

As for the desk job, it varies greatly, some guys score a lot of desk jobs, others have flown for 15 years straight. It comes down to preference for job types, streaming, and luck. I know Is Don will remark about crappy ground jobs, but I can tell you that there are many varied careers out there in the RAAF and you can choose your own destiny to a point by deciding a path early and working hard,

Good Luck