PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - People going sick.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:51
Jobza Guddun

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: People going sick.

This thread discusses an issue that has crossed my mind more than a few times, and more than a few of my oppoes have asked the question on J / IMLC, "how to deal with a persistently problematical person?" when the cards seem to be stacked in the troublemaker's favour. None of us ever received remotely useful guidance on the matter.

In the example here, if a person is a "taker", without seemingly giving anything to the team in return, their actions chip away at the morale and goodwill of their peers, and the whole effort suffers if positive action / a firm hand is not seen to be taken; unfortunately, such action appears difficult for the reason described by Big Tudor. If a person cannot be relied upon to make any effort in their job at whatever level they operate at, they should be removed as quickly as possible and placed non-effective somewhere until they are sorted out or discharged. What use would someone like this be in, say, Iraq or Afghanistan (assuming you could get them there) where everyone has to stand up and be counted?

Just because someone is a "sickie" doesn't mean they can't do a good job either, we all know someone doing just that - everybody with a shred of integrity is capable of giving something. The SAC in Wippy's situation would APPEAR to be a malingering git who thinks they're untouchable, so why not give them the impression that you're building a case for discharge, as Insty66 describes, to see if that changes their attitude? Or perhaps Echo5's peer counselling?

The officer corps always seemed to me to be happily ruthless in weeding out people who wouldn't play the game, often to extremes it has to be said. What would the advice be if this was a Flt / Sqn commander describing a Fg Off for example?

Last edited by Jobza Guddun; 12th Jan 2006 at 23:13.