PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fighter Control - A Dark Art?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 20:13
ADIS5000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fighter Control - A Dark Art?

Orville,

If you want to fly, go WSO. As, despite what the AFCO will tell you, getting onto the E3 as a FC is far from guaranteed.

As far as FC or ATC ... well, as a recently departed FC, I think its 50/50. FC is more Operations orientated but restricted in the number of UK posting locations. ATC have lots more UK posting possibilities, but are not involved in tactics or weapons. ie the punchy military stuff! Both jobs are challenging and rewarding. You're gonna have to visit units and decide for yourself. Looks like Boulmer and Leeming for you matey! Ask your AFCO for the contact numbers. All the best and good luck.

Insp D,

Even when the ESARR5 requirements are met, Mil ATC who want to work for NATS (which after all is the major part of the UK civil ATC world), will still have to do 95% of the NATS courses anyhow. The Mil ATC guys will be probably only be exempt a few, fairly straightforward exams. NATS don't differentiate between Mil ATC or FC. So as far as post RAF careers go there's nothing in it.

Also, did you just recommend tablet_eraser for something in your previous post on this thread? It'll never catch on you know!

STH,

I take it that your photo is of an unusually quiet day?!! Or have the guys all gone camera shy?! (Yes, I know where it is.)