PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Deputy-Pres's Gravy Plane
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 10:29
I.R.PIRATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Afrikaans : Soustrein vakansie vir Adj President

By Wendy Jasson da Costa

President Thabo Mbeki has been drawn into his deputy’s controversial private use of an SA Air Force Falcon 900 for an overseas holiday trip, with the Democratic Alliance calling for an investigation. Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka holidayed with her family in the United Arab Emirates between December 27 and 31.

The DA said the “shopping trip” had cost the taxpayer an estimated R700 000.

In a letter to Mbeki, DA spokesperson Gareth Morgan on Thursday wrote: “While it remains unclear whether SAAF aircraft are officially available for private trips by members of the executive, in the context of South Africa’s pressing development needs it would seem that expenditure of this nature is an unaffordable extravagance.”

'She doesn’t stop being deputy president when she is on holiday'
Morgan said the money spent on Mlambo-Ngcuka’s “gravy plane” could have been better spent on building houses and employing more policemen.

“I have therefore urged the president to launch a thorough investigation into this incident to determine whether there has been an abuse of taxpayers’ money. I have also urged the president to tighten up the regulations governing the use of SAAF jets so as to ensure that no member of the executive is allowed to use state resources for his or her own private purposes.”

Morgan said it was telling that a high-profile leader such as British Prime Minister Tony Blair used his country’s national carrier, and the state was not expected to pay for his holidays.

Earlier this week presidential spokesperson Murphy Morobe said: “It is part of the convention and practice in government for the state to take full responsibility for the provision of transport and security for the president and deputy president – as well as all associated costs – irrespective of whether they are on official or private travels.”

He said Mlambo-Ngcuka had been advised that the provision of her security would be best served through the use of SANDF transport. “She doesn’t stop being deputy president when she is on holiday. The associated risk is there all the time and therefore she will always be secured,” Morobe said.