PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's Official - Sunshine Express to replace the Bandit
Old 9th Dec 2001, 04:46
GAFA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Foxtrotter this thread is a good example of why most route vs a/c studies are not derived from the question; what aircraft do I want to fly?
But when looking at what aircraft to operate you also need to look at what the competition is flying. I know Sunshine are the only operators on the Biloela/Thangool route but they do have competition. They have Sunstate and now once again Flight West flying to Gladstone. A little further up the road they have Airlink and Sunstate flying into Rocky. Biloela is a minning town, so the passenger travelling into Biloela are on business and the business traveller wants more than holiday traveller.
Both Gladstone and Rocky are within driving distance. These towns have both the Dash 8 and the B146 operating into them under the Qantaslink brand. Sunshine Express have just started to fly into TNG (after Flight West closed)so they are out to grab as many passengers has they can. Yes the Metro may be cheaper than the Bandit or buying another Shorts 360, but is it the aircraft to have when you are out to capture a new market? I have just read airliners net and the Metro does not appear to be very popular at all.
From what I've read here, Sunshine Express will have three aircraft types in their Fleet, 1 Shorts 360, 1 Metro and 1 E110. To me that does not appear to be an economical way to run a small regional airline. You would require 3 different lots of spare plus 3 different Check and Training pilots. I whish them well but I predict that in less than 6 months there will not be a Metro flying into TNG.