PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Boulmer closure to be reviewed
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2006, 07:58
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: RAF Boulmer closure to be reviewed

First of all, I am not waving the Dark Blue flag aka Navaleye or VECVECVECEVEC and not trying to get into a pi&&ing match, there is however some sense being talked on here. The RN experience is that close exposure of WCs to the aircraft and aircrew reaps massive benefits. For many years, Naval FW squadrons have had their own "D" (Fighter Controller) as part of the squadron. Yes they sometimes did get jobbed as staffy etc but not to the extent suggested earlier. At Sea it is even better, with all 6/7 FCs living alongside (not literally) the squadron pilots and going to all briefs and debriefs. This raises awareness on both sides and operational effectiveness all round. It means voices can be recognised (good in a spoofing environment) and tactics are fully briefed to all parties.

There is much to be said for much closer liaison although, I think that Scampton is a bit of a Red Herring and has probably got more to do with justifying an air base for the Dead Sparrows than anything else but, I am sure someone will correct me quite firmly on that statement!

By the way, why don't these smilies work anymore? Using the works computer with Windoze, they have no buttons around them although at home, they do work!

Oh well :-) ;-)