PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I WAS WRONG!!!!
Thread: I WAS WRONG!!!!
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2001, 11:58
go with the flow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So hard to know what one should think.

Taking the article in the Gulf News cited above, it's a strident if not unreasonable view of the situation in Israel. Taking another article in the same issue through the link one finds (the one by Rasha Hassan entitled Arab Perspective):
"There have been reports that 4,000 Jews working in the World Trade Centre (WTC) were absent from work on the day of the incident. This astonishing fact raises several questions about the identity of the perpetrators of the attack, says Fadhila. " which immediately makes me recoil from anything else that author may have to say. Should I then reject all Arab opinions as intellectually on the level of propagating conspiracy theories about the Elders of Zion? Obviously not.

Okay, so what's to be done. It's so hard even for a lefty such as I to say "no retaliation" if for no other reason than a fear of the terrorists being otherwise encouraged. Yes, it can't be an indiscriminate attack on Afghanistan, even though many there may feel no such acceptance of my right as a westerner to exist. Yes, a solution to Palestine/Israel must be sought. The last (Barak) Israeli position was yes to the west bank/gaza strip and a divided jerusalem, but rejected by (Arafat) Palestinians who wanted the right of return to Israeli land of all of Palestinian descent plus return of property. Maybe a compromise can be reached, but 2 million returnees would be a strain, on the psyche if nothing else.
Yes, there must be some sort of post WW III "Marshal Plan" to address the poverty imbalance that affects much of the third world.
But this isn't about money. At heart maybe I don't know what it's about, and that question should be asked more loudly. The deepest fear is that it's simply about my tribe against yours, which is not something that can be settled in a civilised manner. Then what?