PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I WAS WRONG!!!!
Thread: I WAS WRONG!!!!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2001, 17:15
mistapproach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Congratulations Chimbu et al, this is one of the most intelligent threads posted on Pprune.
Like the rest of the western world and the aviation community I was horrified by the events of last week. However the lack of comprehension by our U.S allies of the rest of the world defies belief. To go bomb the hell out of the Taliban will only chop the head off the hydra, breeding more unknown and unseen martyrs willing to arise in five, ten years time when security again becoms lax and Sydney Centrepoint, Canary Wharf, Golden Gate, the Eiffel Tower, Disneyland or a myriad of other targets again become exposed. Why are they not targetting the UAE or Saudi Arabia where the WTC & Pentagon terrorists held passports? Something about keeping the gas guzzler on the road?
Whilst it may be very simplistic, I believe that the there are three major causes to the problem, one, the ignorance (and to some arrogance),of the U.S to the rest of the world; two, the fact that the inbred poverty of much of the third world creates extremists; and three, the way the U.S plays the rest of the world for short term gain,. i.e the funding of the Taliban's forbears to fight the Russians in Afganistan, it's South American policies in the 60s/70s/early 80's, it's ongoing cracking the s@*ts with a tinpot and broke Cuba (gotta get that Miami vote), and it's permitting the support of terrorist organisations such as NORAID (gotta get the Irish Catholic vote). It comes back to bite you on the bum.
We can only hope our government sees the dangers in supporting armed retalliation against a hastily identified enemy and will conduct an intelligent appraisal of the root causes behind the discontent that creates such hatred against an unfamiliar society (like ours), before committing Australia to direct action, which will leave us exposed to these wild card acts of terrorism.