PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I WAS WRONG!!!!
Thread: I WAS WRONG!!!!
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2001, 16:57
airag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well chimbu your 2nd paragraph questions the rightness of US foreign policy and for mine they've done ok throughout the 20th century by baling us out in both wars, particularly WWII, opposing the spread of communism since shown to be an unworkable philosophy and removing Saddam from Kuwait.
The Sheer economic and military power of the country has made it the No1 tool of the West to carry out and enforce UN policy so they were always going to play a role in whatever the UN decided in the Middle East post WWII. Thousands of years of conflict throughout that region ensured the west would be stepping on somebodies toes and the yanks have taken alot of the flak.

Heard an arabic proffessor pointing out that if the US pulled out of the region,Saddam would be back into Kuwait with control of its oil and within 2years have nuclear capability so I still reckon they're looking after everyones interest here.
While I agree with the spirit of your ideas I still haven't heard or read any alternative
to the limited military action the UN is proposing. Slasher has it right in that regard as nobody is considering strategic bombing of cities etc, rather a prolonged campaign to destroy terrorist training camps and infrastructure in those countries with a known history of encouraging,promoting,financing them.
Now I'll duck behind the nearest parrapet!