PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Boulmer closure to be reviewed
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2006, 22:41
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: RAF Boulmer closure to be reviewed

Unfortunately, some of the F3 fleet do not understand what we do or what our scope is.( Wyler comment)

Actually Wyler old chum, your scope is that computer based fish bowl about 18 inches from your nose.
Anyway, what do I know about controlling? Well I remember sitting on Mt Kent in 84/85 and fixing a Toga party which cornered the market for WRAFs, WRACS and every other military female we could entice up the hill. Boy, was that a night!!
As a long time past member of the GDFC Branch my best advice to the rest of the real RAF is to post them all to Boulmer, and bolt the door from the outside once they are all in the bunker. Then sell the site for housing and forget all about them.
I spent 16 years of my life with that bunch and the only way out was to leave the service!! I still have the scars and occasionally wake up screaming "Stranger 350 range 2 miles closing" Anyway, the tablets help, so no worries.
In the dim distant past when I joined we were all rejects from some other branch, (I was chopped off jet Provosts) and spoofed at "Reselection" into joining the FC Branch. I remember at Patrington the first true volunteer FC officer arriving. How we all laughed!!!
I remember having a serious stand up row with a FC Sqn Ldr once at Buchan who insisted that he was more important than the aircrew, he could best place them to intercept the enemy. I told him that until he had a gun button on his radar console he was just whistling through his a***. Didn't win me any friends that night.
Someone commented that the ATC and FC people were to merge. Might happen I suppose, the average ATC bloke seemed better at getting 2 aircraft together than our people ever did, and most FC's couldn't get 2 fighters in the same Georef square. Anyway, "They" have been talking about it since the mid 70's as far as I can remember, so don't hold yer breath. Mind you, the way the RAF is contracting, they will need to amalgamate both branches in order to man the Tower at Scampton.
Have fun boys and girls,
Ray Darr