PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I WAS WRONG!!!!
Thread: I WAS WRONG!!!!
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2001, 08:28
CoodaShooda

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I fear Chuck is heading down the right path, now that the immediate gut reaction has passed.
The Arab world has little reason to love the west - for a whole raft of reasons going back to the Crusades. And its hard to find reasons for the west to love the arabs.
Forget the "I'm right, he's wrong" type of argument. Either 'side' can play it. I seem to recall that both the Germans and the Allies during WW1 claimed that God was on 'their' side.
The terrorists are playing on the emotional heartstrings of both east and west to achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. And it is hard to see how they can lose - although theirs will probably be a pyrrhic victory.
Mobilising the west's full military might against a small number of 'true believers' can only give bin Laden greater credibility in the minds of young and impressionable muslims. eg "He must be a very powerful man that the west greatly fears if they will go to such lengths to get him."
If he or any other muslim leader dies fighting overwhelming odds, it will be a case of instant martyrdom and hero worship among the next generation. That next generation will carry on the cause - and the next -and the next. (until no-one remembers what the cause was - it just 'is')
Similarly, can anyone really see the west backing down now? Revenge is demanded. Lessons must be taught!
Yep, whoever was behind WTC, assuming they are fundamentalists attacking the west, has probably won this battle. Economic and Social dislocation on a global scale at a single blow.
These guys and gals are simply criminals, not warriors. It's a great pity that they can't be left to Interpol rather than the 7th Fleet. There's no credibility in being arrested as a thief, murderer or vandal.
Regrettably, human nature and the world scene will not allow this.
It is possible to live together regardless of race or creed. My community of 100,000 people is small but at last count included 37 different ethnic groups. We seem to get on ok.

Side note for the Nostrodamus experts - is it true that he followed the third great war with a thousand years of peace? Perhaps there's hope after all.